So I’m kind of bored and with no plans for the upcoming holiday weekend. Woo Boston pops wooo….. But that’s all the way on Monday! I looked into flying to see friends in North Carolina (tickets were relatively cheap even a few days in advance. I looked at cruises, and tons of spiritual retreats/getaways. I looked to see if there was anyone on couchsurfing.com near a surfable beach. I solicited facebook for possible excursions this weekend, but to know avail. I’m relatively short on cash (because of other upcoming trips: Florida, Erie, Cape Cod, New York, and IRELAND), and I don’t want to push my car past the point of no return just yet…
I turned to meetup.com. It basically gives me information on the coolest stuff happening in Boston and around Boston that I might be interested in, liiiiiiiike an all day hiking trip to Mount Lafayette in New Hampshire tomorrow (also a pub crawl on the 4th).
- I found something to do!
- Hiking a new mountain.
- Seeing a new place
- Meeting new people
- Getting to say I did it
- Getting to say I did it in a totally unsafe/sketchy way
- In all likelihood having an awesome Saturday
- And consequently a better story than I might have had otherwise for my Saturday
- Waking up too early for a Saturday (5am)
- Being in a car of complete and total strangers 2 hours there and 2 hours back
- Hiking with complete strangers (though they probably won’t be complete stranger after the car ride, a day hike, and another day ride)
- The possibility of encountering a craigslist killer-type situation
- The possibility of dying in a car crash, being stranded on the side of the road, or on the side of a mountain with total strangers.
- This is a 9 mile hike and I haven’t hiked or walked 9 miles at once for a while… I did Mount Monadnock last fall (no problem)… and I did Half Dome once when I was a Freshman in college (which is a bigger deal than I realized at the time).
Yeah, I’m probably just going to do it… up the ante and do it barefoot (vibrams). What do you think?